Minerals are solid inorganic substances found in the earth’s crust. Its formation is a natural process, and its chemical composition and its structure crystalline is defined by is genesis. There are more than 4,000 different minerals, and a large number contain metallic elements. But contrary to its formation, the transformation of minerals does require human intervention and especially specialized machinery.
Mineral processing and equipment
The equipment and processes used in this field can be very diverse depending on the type of mineral and its characteristics, as well as the final product to be produced.
The processing of minerals depends on the type of mineral and its characteristics. In general, the process that is carried out includes the following functions:
- Granulometric classification
- Calcination and drying
- Magnetic separation
- Gravimetric separation
- Dosing and weighing
- Washing and dehydration
- Auxiliary handling and silage equipment
This field has a long range of mineral process and machines. This field deals from metallic minerals to minerals used in the auxiliary construction industry. It also includes products assimilated to minerals such as fly ash, slags of various origin and products derived from the chemical industry, among many others.
The metals that are extracted and classified into different groups depending on their properties or functions:
- Basic metals: are those minerals of lower value, such as copper, lead or zinc. Its refined versions are marketed in international markets and come in various shapes and sizes.
- Precious metals: its name gives us a clue as to which metal we mean, among them are gold, silver and platinum. These metals are traded in international markets and are used in applications such as jewelry or electronic devices.
- Ferrous metals: this includes those metals that have a high content of iron and all types of steels. There are metals, such as chromium, cobalt, manganese and molybdenum that are within this type of metals because they improve the properties of steel.
- Non-ferrous metals: some metals, such as copper, lead or zinc, are also found in these types of metals. Since its main uses are not related to the manufacture of steel.
- Uncommon: it is not that the minerals of this group are scarce, but that their extraction is quite complex and difficult. Some of those metals are scandium, yttrium and lanthanum. Its use is wide, although in small quantities, in the manufacture of glass, ceramics, enamels and laser magnets.
SOTECMA has long experience in the processing of metallic minerals, as well as other minerals such as gypsum, lime, cement, calcium carbonate, limestone, siliceous sands, etc.
Advantages of metallic minerals
The majority of metallic minerals have a strong composition, high melting points, and excellent conductors of electricity. One of their most outstanding properties is malleability, which means that they can be beaten, pressed into thin sheets and have different shapes.
Furthermore, it is considered that they can be supplied on a larger scale than fossil fuels.
Finally, although we are talking about non-renewable resources, we could not end the sources since their quantity is greater than the demand they have today.
SOTECMA designs, manufactures and supply complete turnkey installations.
We also make partial supplies and modification of existing facilities that respond to improvements in production, expansion of final products and improvements in the quality of the products obtained as well as the transfer of the same.
To get further information, you can contact us.